Trust is very important to keep an organization in unity and maintain a harmonious relationship among the people inside it. It boosts employees’ morale and increase business productivity. Trusting followers and subordinates also make leaders and managers more inspired and motivated to achieve organizational goals. However, trust is not just a thing we should wish for, but it is something we should constantly work for. So how can we make our employees trust us? The following are 10 tips to becoming trustworthy and making your workers, personnel and staff trust you.
1. Learn and realize that trust is not asked, but it is built. Hence, you should strive to build trust by maintaining trustworthy within you.
2. Be honest and true to your words. Maintain this every day, just like how you maintain fragrance in your body – you take a bath every day. Do not make broken promises. If you can’t do it, be honest to say you can’t do it. However, don’t be an incapable person. Always have remedies to an impossible solution.
3. Respect the privacy of your employees. Know how to keep secrets and confidential matters. We all know that we can’t trust a person who doesn’t know how to shut his mouth.
4. Do the things that you want them to do to you. Trust them so that they may also trust you. Give your confidence to them so that they may also give their confidence to you.
5. Be selfless. Don’t show any personal interest when you deal with your employees. Instead, always prioritize the interest of the whole organization. Employees never trust a manager who is selfish and full of personal interests.
6. Be clear. Always come up with bright plans, mission, vision and policies. Employees and workers will surely uphold clear rather than obscure plots. Obviously, we always trust bright ways rather than dark ways.
7. Be humble and take away your pride. Pride is evil; who wants to trust the devil? Have humility. Admit that you lack something, you don’t know everything, and you can’t do everything. Don’t stop learning new knowledge and continue training new managerial and leadership skills.
8. Be gentle. A leader or manager who has gentle hands and soft heart is trustworthy just like a soft pillow, which we always trust to sleep with every night.
9. Be a good businessman and entrepreneur. This is because even if you’re kind, humble and gentle, if you’re business is losing, your laborers will not be assured of their benefits and compensation. Be diligent to assure the profitability and stability of your company or organization.
10. Have wisdom. Wisdom is the ability to discern what is right and what is wrong. It is the capability to make the right judgment and decisions. And to be able to be wise, you should practice reflection and understanding of the things around you, as well as inside you. Followers and subordinate will surely trust a person whom they know can make the right decisions. Therefore, be prudent and be more knowledgeable.