Leaders, whether born or made, should always aspire to become a better leader. Whether you’re a business leader, political leader or a leader of yourself, the following list of 16 things that followers want from a leader will give you an idea on how you can lead your people more righteously and effectively.
1. Courage – they want a leader who can stand on their front to protect them and face any kind of threat or situation. Leadership is courage. Without courage, a person cannot lead in the first place.
2. Truth – they want a leader whose words can be trusted and relied upon. Followers don’t like confusion. It causes a lot of headache.
3. Strength – they want a strong and a firm leader. They want someone who has the power to carry out rules and strength to hold on to what is right.
4. Gentleness – they want a leader who’s not only strong, but also has self-control. They want a leader who can handle something with care.
5. Humility – they want a leader who admits his own mistakes. They don’t want a leader who is proud and boastful. That kind of person is disgusting.
6. Compassion – they want a leader who can feel what they feel. They want someone who can feel their heartaches and sufferings.
7. Patience – they want a leader who can resist from wrath and hatred. They want someone who knows how to forgive, forget and forward.
8. Hope – they want a leader who will always inspire them and keep their spirits alive.
9. Faith – they want a leader who can trust, rely and believe in them. They never like false accusations.
10. Wisdom – they want a leader who is wise, just, and can make the right decisions.
11. Understanding – they want a leader who is not difficult to talk with. They want someone who can easily understand what they think, feel, want and need.
12. Generosity – they want a leader who can give them more than what they expect. They want someone who knows how to sacrifice himself for the sake of others.
13. Love – they want kindness; they want love. Who doesn’t want them?
14. Action – they want example. They want someone who speaks louder than words. They want a diligent leader.
15. Consistency – they want those actions to be continuous and those examples to become accomplishments. They want a persistent leader. Followers want a leader of success.
16. Happiness – they want fulfillment. They want real happiness.
Now, if you want to be a better leader to your followers, you should be the first to produce those things above. Once you’re done, share them to your followers, and then teach them how to produce those things by themselves. That’s the essence of leadership.