A blogger is different from a writer because the first doesn’t end his or her job after writing a blog post. A blogger is a writer, publisher, marketer, influencer, and even an entrepreneur. Thus, if you want to succeed in blogging, don’t just develop yourself as a writer, but develop yourself even more than that. Below are 16 things you should consider doing after you’ve written a new blog post.
1. Proofread your article. Make sure that your blog post are free from wrong spelling and grammar. You may use MS Word and other Document Processing software to check your spelling and grammar. You can also utilize Google and other search engines to find the right grammar when you are not sure. Google usually gives more search results to a good grammar than a poor grammar.
2. Optimize your post for the people. Optimize your article, not only for the search engines, but also for the human audience. Make sure your blog post’s title and description are catchy and engaging, and they should also match perfectly to your main content. I recommend writing naturally, without thinking of any SEO as long as your content will provide the information you promise in your title and description. Remember that your title and description are the ones that will appear in the search engine result pages and in the link you will share in different social networking websites.
3. Find the best image for your blog post. Implement visual marketing by placing a relevant and interesting picture in your blog post. You can use this photo to attract the eyes and mind of your readers and prevent your blog from becoming boring. You could also use the catchy picture in your post to attract social media users when you share it on Facebook, Pinterest and other image-based social networking sites since your picture will be captured as the thumbnail in your link. Moreover, don’t forget to optimize your images by putting the relevant title, description and alternative (alt) text.
4. Link to your related blog posts. Improve your blog’s navigational structure by linking your post to other posts that are very relevant to it. However, don’t overdo it. Only link if linking to that page is very important to make your new post a better post. For example, you may want to link your new post to your other post which comprehensively discusses what you are talking in your new blog post.
5. Link to outside sources. Don’t hesitate to link out to reliable and reputable sources. This will improve your article’s reliability and give your readers an impression that you are doing your research. High-quality outbound links will also help your blog be optimized for the search engines as long as you do it naturally.
6. Promote a product. Check your blog post if you have mentioned about a product or a service that you have used in the past. If you love that product and if its company is offering an affiliate program where you can earn commission for a lead, then consider joining the program and place your affiliate link to that product in your blog post to earn some money. Just make sure you will not overdo it. Also, put “rel= nofollow” attribute in your link to avoid being penalized by Google.
7. Share your blog post in your social network. After publishing your post, share it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Linkedin and other social media where you think your post would be useful. You also have to determine what is the peak time or the time where your social media followers and friends are mostly online to make sure that they can view your post in their newsfeed.
8. Comment on other related blog posts. You can search for the blog posts that are similar to what you have published. And when you find them, read them and leave valuable and engaging comments. This will give you related backlinks and will also help you attract visitors who are interested to read the same topic. Some blogs have Comment Luv enabled on them which give you the opportunity to show your latest blog post when you make a comment to their blogs.
9. Share your post as answer to people’s questions. Visit question-and-answer websites (e.g, Yahoo! Answers), Facebook groups, Twitter groups, and online forums, where you can find related questions that can be answered by sharing your new blog post.
10. Create a presentation version of your latest post. Consider creating a nice PowerPoint presentation or its equivalent version for your blog post. You can share your slides on presentation-sharing websites like SlideShare.net, Slideserve.com, Speakerdeck.com and Authorstream.com to gain more exposure, traffic and backlinks.
11. Create a PDF version of your new blog post. You may also create a PDF version of your blog post and upload and share it on file-sharing websites like Scribd.com and Docstoc.com.
12. Create a video version. If you think that your new blog post deserves more exposure, try video marketing. You may try creating a viral video that relates to your new post. You can upload this on YouTube with a link in the description to your latest post. You can also share your YouTube video in other social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
13. Bookmark your latest blog post. You can bookmark your new blog post at StumbleUpon and Digg.com. There are also other bookmarking sites that are specially made for a particular niche. For example, if your blog post is about business, you can share it on BizSugar.com. If your blog post is about SEO or online marketing, you can share it on Inbound.org.
14. Create RSS feed and syndicate your content. To automatically send your latest blog posts to your RSS subscribers, consider using RSS feed management services like Feedburner and Feedblitz.com.
15. Share your blog post through email. Email your friends whom you think will find your blog post very useful and interesting. If you have mentioned them in your blog post, then you should tell them so that they would help you promote your post in their networks.
16. Monitor the performance of your blog post. Check how many visitors read your latest post, how did it rank in the search engine results page, how many people shared it on social media, and how did people react and receive it. This will give you an idea and help you write a better content and a better marketing strategy in your next blog post.
For more blogging tips, you can read the 101 blogging tips I have written at Entreb.