Are you planning to start a business in 2015? Have you already chosen the best business to start in this brand new year? Before you finally decide to start registering and running your business, you may first have a look at the other good business opportunities that are available in the Philippines.
According to the Department of Tourism and Industry (DTI), 2015 is the “visit the Philippines” year. This means that businesses that are related to the travel industry could be hot or in demand this year.
Aside from looking at the future, we can also learn from the past to realize what business ideas can be profitable in 2015. In the last few years (especially 2013 and 2014), we’ve seen our country battered by super typhoons and other natural calamities. This could give us a hint that businesses which are related to renewable energy, safety and security would also be good business ideas in 2015.
If you’re starting a business in the Philippines, check out the following list of business ideas to begin in 2015.
1. Travel and tour business. As I said, 2015 is a “visit the Philippines” year according to the DOT. Hence, expect more tourists (local and foreigners) to find companies and individuals who can help them get the best travel and tour packages, including airline fees and hotel discounts.
2. Hotel and accommodation. With events in 2015 like the coming of the Pope, most hotels are already fully booked even as early as 2014. Aside from the Papal visit, there are also many other interesting reasons why many tourists are flocking to the Philippines. Thus, hotels, pension houses, inns, bed and breakfast houses and other types of establishments in the accommodation industry could be the hottest business ideas in 2015.
3. Van/car/bike for hire. Foreign tourists, OFWs and local tourists will be looking for vans, cars and even bikes to comfortably and enjoyably tour the different places in our country.
4. Money changer. When foreign tourists and OFWs come in, they will be looking for money changers to exchange their foreign currencies.
5. Online publishing or blogging. Did you know that there are Filipino bloggers who are earning a lot by just blogging from home? But of course the giant media companies are earning more than that. Media companies, like ABS-CBN, Rappler, Inquirer and GMA are earning millions from the ads on their websites alone.
6. Website design and development. There are still many companies that need to have websites for their businesses. Websites are also evolving in terms of design and functionality. Hence, there will always be a continuous demand for web development and upgrade.
7. Social media marketing. Social media channels, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, are where the majority of consumers spend their time in this digital age. Help businesses reach their target market and customers through social media marketing solutions and services.
8. PR and online reputation management. Help your clients create a buzz on the Internet to promote their new products or businesses. You can also provide online reputation management services to monitor your clients’ online mentions and manage the online integrity of their brands.
9. Virtual assistance. Offer business owners and executives around the world with your virtual assistance services (e.g., encoding, making presentations, managing email and other administrative or secretarial jobs) so that they can focus on their core tasks.
10. Mobile app development. There are many types and uses of mobile apps. You can create mobile applications for your own startup or you can create mobile apps for clients. There are companies who need mobile apps for marketing their business online.
11. Online store. Having an online store will give you the ability to find customers and do transactions with them on the Internet through an e-commerce enabled website. Almost all kinds of physical products can actually be listed for sale in a online store as long as you have the license to operate your business. You can even sell cars and real properties if you’re an authorized dealer.
12. Fitness and nutrition coaching. Health is wealth. In this era where we are more exposed to unhealthy food and environment, many people will seek the help of a fitness and nutrition expert to guide them to a healthier lifestyle.
13. Spa, massage, hair and beauty salon. People will continue to desire for a beautiful body, face, hair and skin. Therefore, this industry will always be in demand.
14. Solar panel selling and installation. Electricity in the Philippines is expensive and brownouts are not unusual. Frequent typhoons can also knockout our electricity. Thus, solar energy is a great solution for a more resilient, cost-efficient and nature-friendly power supply.
15. Disaster risk reduction products. Our country had suffered from deadly super typhoons, storm surges, flashfloods and earthquakes in the last few years. And many of us have already realized how important it is to always be ready for any disaster. One of the best business ideas for 2015 is selling emergency kits, solar powered gadgets, power banks and other solutions to survive during and after a calamity.
16. Food cart business. With a good location and an effective marketing campaign, a food cart business will always thrive as we always need to eat for the rest of our lives.
17. Restaurant business. The secret to success in operating a restaurant business is to find the perfect target market where you can always be passionate to serve with. No matter how many restaurants are already available in your town, there will always be a group of people or customers who will find something different. The booming tourism industry in the Philippines will also cause an increase in the demand for restaurants and food hub in the country.
18. Meat shop. Meat is an essential part of the Filipino diet. We buy meat for almost any occasion. Hence, a meat shop business could always be profitable in the Philippines
19. Rice retailing. For most Filipinos, rice is the most important food in the table. It’s like we can’t live without eating rice. Most of us are even fond of asking for extra rice. Thus, the demand for rice will always be high. If you’ll start a rice retail business, you will also need to obtain a license from the National Food Authority (NFA) aside from the usual licenses, as rice is a regulated commodity in the country.
20. Events management and party needs business. Help people make important events in their lives (i.e., weddings, birthdays and anniversaries) become very special and memorable.
21. Convenience store. In this modern era, most cities in the Philippines can already be considered as “cities that never sleep”. Call center agents, party goers, gamers and other people who stay awake overnight need a store which is open 24 hours a day. If you think there’s a high demand in your city for a convenience store, this might be a great business to start in 2015.
22. Pharmacy. Drug stores are one of the types of businesses where people are always queuing. That is not surprising because medical products are basic commodities. Not only that we go to the nearest drug store to buy medicines when we are sick but we also go there to buy products like vitamin supplements and personal care items to stay healthy and fit.
23. Furniture making. There’s a huge demand for unique and tough furniture in the market. Because the Philippines face natural calamities frequently, Filipinos will be choosing the more durable wooden and steel furniture. Remember that 2015 would be a year of resilience.
24. Digital Printing business. Digital printing equipment are becoming less expensive. If you got skills in the digital imaging and printing, you may try tarpaulin printing, t-shirt printing, business card printing and other services for your target and segmented market.
25. Bookkeeping services. Taxation and compliance requirements for businesses are not slowing down in 2015. Red tape will still be a problem for Filipino business owners. The BIR will still be aggressive with their tax collection efforts and will impose penalties for taxpayers who will not comply. Thus, business owners will be needing bookkeepers to ensure that their businesses can comply with all the requirements imposed by the government.
What do you think is the best business for you? Do you have any other great business idea to add in the list above? Feel free to share your comments below.