Have you ever asked yourself what can you contribute to your beloved country to help it move forward and achieve progress? There are no people in the world who can help the Philippines better than ourselves – the Filipinos and the citizens of this country. If the Americans, Australians, British or the Japanese can help our country, how much more the Filipinos who are living on it?
You don’t need to become a mayor of your city or become the president of our republic to help our country. As ordinary residents and citizens, we can always contribute something for the development of our nation. The following are 33 random acts you can do to help our country move forward:
1. Plant trees. It will help our country become greener and have cleaner air.
2. Dispose your garbage properly. Know how to organize your trash in to biodegradable or non-biodegradable. You can also try recycling to reduce waste in our country.
3. Join volunteers who clean your community. Take further step to clean our society. You can also invite your friends to encourage more volunteers.
4. Conserve water. Don’t waste our fresh water. Help our country’s future problem on water be solved as early as now.
5. Save energy. Learn how to save power from your household to your office. Also consider using renewable energy sources, such as solar panels which are also nature friendly.
6. Follow traffic rules. Traffic is a serious problem in the Philippines. If you follow our traffic rules, you will be helping in the reduction of this serious problem.
7. Clean your vehicle. Whether you drive a car or a motorcycle, clean and maintain your vehicle so that it will not pollute our air.
8. Commute or walk. This will make you fit, avoid adding your car to the traffic, save fuel, and help in reducing carbon emissions that are harmful to our planet.
9. Queue properly. Encourage discipline to everyone. Follow simple instructions, such as “fall in line” or “first come first serve”.
10. Share useful public information on social media. Instead of wasting time on gossiping at Facebook and other social media, use your extra time to share useful public information like weather forecast or stories from Filipinos who are needing help.
11. Report a corrupt official. Be a hero and a warrior. Protect the Philippines and the Filipinos from corruption. Don’t be afraid to report corrupt officials and government employees.
12. Promote tourism in the country. Visit and discover the beautiful places of the Philippines. Promote our local destinations in your Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, Instagram, and other social media pages.
13. Be kind to foreigners. Show to the world how good the Filipinos are. It will give honor to our nation and will also boost our tourism industry. Remember that tourists visit a place, not only for the place, but also for its culture and people.
14. Study hard and get a nice job. Help the Philippines solve its problem on high unemployment rate by getting a good job for yourself.
15. Sponsor a Filipino student. Help someone get a diploma and have a nice job like you.
16. Teach for free. Teach children during your free time. Or if you are really serious, make it your cause to give free education to poor Filipino children.
17. Speak for free. If you’re a public speaker, share your knowledge and wisdom to Filipinos without asking for a fee.
18. Share your professional skills. If you’re a doctor, give free consultation. If you’re a lawyer, give free legal advice. Whatever your profession is, try to share it for free to Filipinos, whether you’re here or abroad.
19. Invest in the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE). Invest in the Philippines. Be an investor and put more equity to publicly listed companies in the Philippines.
20. Invest in Government Bonds. Help the national government raise more funds by investing or buying government issued bonds, such as treasury bills and treasury bonds.
21. Invest in Philippine SMEs. Help micro, small and medium companies in the Philippines by investing or lending loans to them. Remember that SMEs are the backbone of our economy.
22. Start a business and hire Filipino employees. If you don’t like investing in other companies, try to start and invest in your own business. Help our country create more jobs.
23. Create high quality products. If you’re a businessman or entrepreneur, produce goods and provide services that are excellent and globally competitive.
24. Support our local products. Love our own, whether they are food, clothes, gadgets, movies or music. Of course you still have the freedom to choose the product that you think will help you most in terms of quality.
25. Do your government job more effectively and efficiently. Working in a government agency doesn’t mean working in a relax environment as many Filipinos think. If you’re a government employee, you have to work harder since you are serving the public. Go to the office earlier and consider extending your working hours to extend your service to the Filipinos.
26. Get an extra job. If you can make yourself and your family more productive and profitable, you can also contribute to the national productivity and profitability.
27. Teach your children to save and invest. Teach your children to achieve financial freedom and have a brighter future. By doing it, you are also helping our country have a brighter future.
28. Teach your children to become young entrepreneurs. Teach them not just to become loyal employees, but to become entrepreneurs who could take the risk to become millionaires and even billionaires.
29. Pay taxes. No matter how we hear the news of corruption everyday, we have no right to corrupt the money we are obliged to remit to the government. So be honest even if others are not.
30. Vote wisely. Your one vote has the power to change a country. So don’t waste it. Use your precious time to make an extensive research to know who are the most deserving political candidates during elections.
31. Campaign for the best political candidate. Yes, don’t just vote for the most deserving candidate but make your best effort to campaign for him or her. Fight for your vote and don’t let the liars and thieves win positions in our government.
32. Be healthy. Healthy citizens means good life expectancy rate for the country. Good life expectancy rate also means good human development index for the Philippines.
33. Be happy. Last but not the least, be practically happy. Let the real happiness originate in you. I’m not saying that you should laugh in delusion in the midst of corruption, poverty, and other problems of our country. What I’m saying is help our country by doing the acts above, and enjoy what you are doing. Be happy that you are helping the Philippines.
Remember that there are many other things you can do to help our country aside from the listed acts above. So… what are you doing to help the Philippines progress as a nation?