We don’t need to become college graduates to start any business. We can already become entrepreneurs even we if are still in college. Starting business and entrepreneurship at the early age will give us more time to learn and develop our entrepreneurial skills. It will also give us the opportunity to make money while we are still young. This also means that we can already become financially independent – not only depending on what our parents can give. Moreover, having a business that is connected to our course is also a great way to actually practice what we learn in the classrooms. If you want to start a small business and start earning income while still in college, here are 50 small business ideas you may consider.
1. Tutorial. Do you excel on your studies? Why don’t you teach and share your academic excellence? Teaching is also a great way to learning more. You may also teach kids to help them become ready to go to school.
2. Writing. If you are taking mass communication, BS in English, or journalism, you may try offering writing services to certain clients. You may write articles and other content for websites, blogs and other publications online and offline.
3. Editing. Aside from writing, you may also offer editing services to proofread, edit, and refine the original content of your clients.
4. Blogging. Blog about your passion or about what you are studying in college. It’s a great way to share, learn and earn. If you are studying business related courses, then blog about your business related course, like entrepreneurship, management, marketing, or accounting. Blogging is one of the most popular Internet business ideas today.
5. Photography. Make money from your passion in photography. You may also create a photo blog to promote your talent and services online.
6. Video coverage. Earn money by capturing the great moments of people in their most special days, such as wedding, birthdays, and other events.
7. Video / motion graphic artist. Manage all the video graphic design and visual requirements of various clients or businesses.
8. Animation. Use your technical skill, animation software knowledge, and creativity to create 2D or 3D animations.
9. Website design. Are you taking web programming? Why not practice your website designing skills by creating quality websites for clients.
10. Website flipping. You may also create and develop websites, and then sell them for profit.
11. Software programming. Advance your programming skill and start developing software for customers.
12. Web and mobile apps development. Create apps for Facebook, Apple or Google’s Android.
13. House cleaning. Make people homes clean. Remember that great things start from a small beginning.
14. Desktop publishing. Design business cards, newsletters, menus, flyers and other printed materials.
15. Bookkeeping. Are you taking accounting course? Why not start handling the books of some small businesses in your area? If you have relatives who are business owners, you may start offering your accounting and bookkeeping services to them. This is also a good way to actually practice what you are learning from school.
16. Financial planning. Just like #15, you may also help small businesses project their financial position and performance in the future.
17. Landscaping and gardening. This relaxing hobby can be transformed into a green and profitable business.
18. Cellphone loading. This convenient small business can be started by students with a small capital.
19. Fashion designing. Enrich your passion in fashion designing.
20. Jewelry and accessories. This is one of the small businesses that you can start at home.
21. Direct selling. Try selling the products of some of the world’s largest direct selling companies, like Avon, Amway, Herbalife, Natura, or Tupperware.
22. Beauty and personal care. Offer services to take care the hair, body or skin of your clients.
23. Computer repair. Are you studying computer related courses? Why not become a computer technician?
24. Computer rental. Think of a small Internet café business. You don’t need to have brand-new computer units to start.
25. Cellphone repair. Almost everyone has already a cellphone. If you are studying electronic and telecommunication related courses, you may also undergo a training to become a cellphone technician.
26. Music lesson. Teach children or adults how to develop their talents in music.
27. Choreography. Be a dance choreographer and teach people how to do the best dance moves.
28. T-shirt printing. Show your creativity through your printed t-shirts. If you’re studying fine arts on painting, you may also paint original designs on T-shirts.
29. Personal trainer. Train people how to be fit, strong, and healthy.
30. Pet care. Are you studying veterinary medicine? Consider providing pet care services for your clients’ lovely animals.
31. Interior design. Turn people’s home space more elegant and effective for living.
32. House painting. You can start this job in your neighborhood. Make their houses always new and clean.
33. Cakes and pastries. Are you taking courses that are related to cookery? Why not start a small business out of it.
34. Stock investing. Start investing on stocks or corporate ownership. If you can buy expensive gadgets, why don’t you start spending on stock investments as early as your college days?
35. Money lending. Money lending can be an easy and profitable business. However, starting a lending business may require special registration from the government and is also subject to regulation mandated to financing and lending companies.
36. Tour guiding. Promote tourism in your local area by providing tour guiding services for tourists. This is great if you are also taking tourism related courses in college
37. Modeling. Do you have the looks and moves of a model? Start using your physical blessings to earn a living.
38. Talent management. If you are already familiar with the modeling business, then you may consider managing some models.
39. Legal research. Are you studying law? If yes, then this job could be just perfect for you.
40. Medical transcription. Are you studying medicine or pharmacy? Do you have a good Internet connection? If yes, then this job can be just right for you.
41. Driving lesson. Teach people how to drive vehicles. You can offer driving sessions on weekends or during your free time from school.
42. Sports training. Share your skills in basketball, football, swimming or any other sports by training people how to develop their own skills.
43. Auto detailing. Make people’s car look always cool and new. If you’re taking automotive related courses, you may try this.
44. Advertising. This may be online or offline. If you have a blog, website, Facebook account, or Twitter account, you may offer clients to advertise their business or products on your web space. Offline advertising may include distributing business flyers, telemarketing, or even printing the brand on your car.
45. Event hosting. Be the master of ceremonies of your clients’ important events or parties.
46. Event organizing. Organize events, such as local concerts, contests, fun run, sports competitions, trainings, and seminars. Usually, you will earn from ticket sales, registration fees, and sponsors’ fees. However, you have to ensure that all the necessary permits are complied.
47. Selling on eBay. Sell your own products on eBay and on other online auction sites.
48. Buy and sell. There are many products that you can consider for retailing. These include ready-to-wear items, gadgets, websites, cars, and other stuff you think you can sell successfully.
49. Transportation service. Do you own a car or a van? Why not use it to earn money, instead of just using it for gimmicks and other time-wasting activities?
50. Live performance. Form a band and accept guesting on local concerts, weddings, and other events. You may also perform as a solo musician in night bars and restaurants.
I hope you have gained some small business ideas that you think you can start while you’re still in college. You may choose the idea that is more related to the course you are taking up so that you can also advance and improve your studies. Finally, make sure that your grades are rising instead failing.