Happy and motivated workers are vital in any organization. They are dedicated and motivated to do their tasks and ensure productivity in the workplace. Thus, business owners, employers and managers strive to provide their employees with anything to fuel their zeal and motivation to work. They provide them with salaries, bonus, vacations, recognitions and other monetary or nonmonetary benefits. Among those benefits, showing appreciation is one simple thing employers and managers can always give to their employees. Other forms of appreciation don’t even cost any dime. Hence, if you employ people in your business, recognizing and appreciating your workers is one responsibility you shouldn’t ignore. Here are some tips and ways on how to make your employees feel more appreciated.
1. Say Thank You, whether you say it or you write it. But make sure to make it sincere.
2. Congratulate them for a job well done. Use your hands to shake their hands or to clap cheerfully to show your appreciation.
3. Congratulate them for an improved performance. You don’t need to see a perfect job done to show appreciation. Their efforts to improve their performance is already enough to receive a warm congratulation.
4. Give their due credit. Share the credit. Never take an honor alone or give it to a lone employee in your organization. Don’t forget that success is always achieved through team work. So don’t forget to credit all the team members.
5. Reward them with something of value. Invest money to reward them with cash. Cash surely make someone happy nowadays. But don’t be limited to money. You can also reward them with plaque, trophy or anything as a show of appreciation or recognition.
6. Promote them. Don’t delay promotion if an employee already deserves to be promoted. Don’t make employees feel that their hard work is going in vain.
7. Listen to their voice. Pay attention and never make them feel like insignificant species.
8. Act to their appeals. Don’t fool them. Be true to your promises. Showing appreciation is showing care.
9. Value them like close friends or members of family. Make them feel as an important part of your team or organization. Love them like your own family.
10. Welcome the new employees. You don’t need to organize a lavish welcome party. A lively welcome and introduction to the team can already make a difference.
11. Celebrate their birthdays. Celebrating your employees’ birthday and spending time for thanksgiving is one great way to make them feel they are being valued and appreciated.
12. Respect their gender. Don’t discriminate, especially the women workers. Be prudent not to degrade their abilities whether jokingly or seriously.
13. Appreciate their life outside. If you want to make your employees MORE appreciated, also show your appreciation to their culture, religion, hobbies, home, living, family and loved ones.
14. Use their great ideas and suggestions. They got ideas, okay, but don’t just ignore them and insist that your ideas are better even if that’s not the fact. If you can utilize your employees’ brilliant ideas and suggestions, it would make them feel honored and much appreciated.
15. Give them some rest. A simple care for their health and recovery is already an effective way to show that you recognize their values and you don’t want them to be in any danger.
16. Smile at their presence. A simple sweet smile can brighten up your workers’ day. In contrast, a single frown can make your employees days become uncomfortable. Smiling on your employees can always make them feel welcomed. So always be hospitable, accommodating and smiling.
17. Don’t humiliate them. Never do that because it’s the opposite of appreciating them.
18. Be honest. You don’t need to shut your mouth from telling them the truth, even if it would mean telling them their weaknesses and need for improvements. Just make sure to correct them gently. Being honest and helping them develop their weaknesses make your employees feel recognized not only in the short run, but also in the long run.
19. Influence appreciation. Teach your employees to show appreciation with their co-workers and team mates. This will make the spirit of true appreciation stronger inside your workplace.
20. Be consistent. If you truly and seriously want to make your employees feel more appreciated, then do the things above consistently. Remember that human feelings are not that consistent. That is why, as a leader, you should be a role model. You should be the first one to show consistency.