I believe that the following are the four fundamental steps to overcome the fears that make our life a drag.
1. Know your fears
We cannot conquer something that we cannot perceive. Hence, the first step to conquer our fears is to know and be aware of them. It is important to know and recognize the things that we fear because not all of them should actually be conquered. Not all fears make our life miserable. Some fears can actually help us grow and have a good life.
Our fear of doing crimes that are punishable by the law protects us from legal charges and gives us integrity in life. Our fear of fooling and cheating on our wives or husbands gives us clean conscience and preserves our family relationship.
Thus, we have to know the fears we should conquer and the fears that we should maintain. We cannot overcome all our fears because if we do, our life would be in chaos and out of order.
2. Choose the fears you should overcome
After recognizing all your fears, you have to choose the fears that you should get rid of. As we mentioned is the first step, not all fears should be terminated – we have to keep the fears that give us and others a good life.
Therefore, start making choices now. When picking the fears to conquer, choose the fears that make your life a mess, whether it is your fear of the dark, fear of the demons, fear of losing money, or even fear of death. Remember that it is difficult to defeat opponents that you are not choosing and willing to defeat in the first place.
3. Face and conquer the fears you’ve chosen
The third fundamental step is to face your fears. You have to face your fears to overcome them. Remember that it’s hard to win against opponents we cannot face and challenge. But how can we face and overcome those fears that we think are the causes of problems in our lives? Here are some of the ways to face those kinds of fears and overcome them.
– To face your fear of the physical darkness, you have to face it by experiencing and going to dark places. By having the knowledge that darkness is not that harmful, and by choosing and willing to overcome it, you will succeed in conquering that fear.
– To face your fear of the demons, you have to face yourself. This is because demons reside within us – inside our hearts. Pride, envy, deceit – these are kinds of evils that can reside within ourselves. The people who fear them are actually the people who have them inside their hearts – they are enslaving and subjugating these people. To face them, you have to admit their presence within you. And to overcome them, you have to reject them and start practicing humility, kindness, and honesty. It’s difficult, but with consistent practice and by developing good habits, you will eventually succeed.
– To face your fear of losing money, you have to actually experience losing money. However, you have to lose money wisely. This includes losing money by investing it or sharing it with others. For example, if you are a businessperson, to face your fear in losing money, you have to actually spend money. You can lose money in a great way, such as giving cash incentives to your employees or giving cash rewards to your loyal customers. If you know that your money will be lost for a great cause, you will realize that you don’t actually need to fear about losing it. Besides, it is more blessed to give than to receive.
– Now if you are afraid to die then you have to face death. However, the death you should face is not the literal death of a person, but it is the death of your sins. In other words, you have to be spiritually reborn and start a new life – a life free from sins. The people who are afraid of death are actually those who are sinners, whether they have sinned against their God or they have sinned against people.
4. Prevent negative fears to develop in the future
Finally, after knowing, choosing, and conquering your fears that are ruining your life, you have to prepare yourself by preventing similar fears to develop in the future. This final step requires you to utilize the knowledge you’ve gained from knowing your fears, the wisdom you’ve achieved from choosing your fears to be eliminated, and the understanding you’ve attained from facing and overcoming those fears. With your knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, you can develop great insights for the future to maintain your life free from fears that destroys your life and the lives of others.
Remember that prevention is better than cure. Thus, to avoid negative fears to grow in you, make sure that your positive fears are growing. For example, if you don’t want to fear evil or wickedness, then you have to fear God or righteousness – let God or righteousness overcome and conquer you. In other words, obey the laws of righteousness – be kind, be honest, be wise, and be a loving person. If righteousness is your conqueror or master, then you don’t have any reason to fear or be subjected by evil.
Remember that sometimes… overcoming our fears is just a matter of using our common sense. Using our common sense is the process of putting all our physical, mental, and emotional senses in a common agreement.