If you are wishing to make your customers feel special to generate more sales and increase your profit, then you are heading in the wrong way. This is because you don’t need to think about selling them and profiting from them to make them feel someone who’s special. Think of your special friends or of your special someone, how do you treat them? You are probably spending so much time thinking of how you can make them happy and how you can help them solve their own problems, am I right?
Furthermore, I believe you also know their personal intimate details: what can make them glad and what can make them sad. When they are in trouble, you immediately come on their side to lend a hand and comfort them. When they are happy, you are there to celebrate with them. You are building a deep and lasting relationship with them without expecting profit in return.
To really make your customers feel loved and special, you’ve got to treat them more than just buyers and you’ve got to make yourself more than just a seller. You need to treat them as special friends and make yourself a special friend to them. Obviously, it’s a difficult task for a business owner and for a marketer. But that is how it is. That is why it can’t be done overnight, but it’s built through your consistent efforts and dedication. Here are some specific activities you can do to make your customers feel more special.
1. Ask their personal information (e.g., full name, age, birthday, and some of their favorite things). And when they give them to you, remember them always the next time you meet them.
2. Send them specialized greeting cards on their birthday or on special occasions, such as Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, or even Valentine’s Day.
3. Hold annual customers’ day where you invite all customers to a gathering or a party.
4. Train all your staff or employees to give your customers a warm welcome and accommodate them when they do business in your office or in your store.
5. Always ask customers’ feedback or comments. And when customers give feedback and comments, always try to answer them and address their concerns. Trust what they say.
6. Give discounts, freebies and rewards. Show your sense of sacrifice.
7. Whenever you achieve success, always mention your customers, and give credit to them.
8. Educate customers and inspire them. How? You can sponsor seminars on topics that can make their lives better, such as topics on health, living and personal development.
9. Don’t lie to your customers and break their heart. Don’t create foolish advertisements.
10. Invest on the quality and excellence of your products and services. Let your products answer or solve their questions and problems.
11. Always give that little extra to provide extraordinary services and wow your customers.
12. Take care of their world, their community, their environment, their country, and their planet. Show your good intentions.
13. Always be humble to your customers.
14. Don’t get too harsh, but be gentle when you implement big changes.
15. Defend your customers and be their ally on the righteous things they are fighting for, such as their fight for poverty, corruption or crimes.
The process to making your customers feel special starts within yourself. You’ve got to make yourself something special to them. If they see something special on your business, they will also feel the same with themselves. It will be an equation of “special business = special customers”. Make your business special and do business specially for them. Try your best to do the list above and other similar special things for your customers.