How to Register Business Name with DTI Philippines

Jan 29, 2011 by at Business, Business Startup, Registration

How to Register Business Name with DTI Philippines

How to register your business name with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) in the Philippines? If you are planning to establish a business, a trade name is an essential part of your business existence. That is why you should take time for brainstorming to come up with a company name that is both unique and appealing to your potential customers. Your trade name is what you will always use when dealing with your clients or customers. It is the name that will be stated in your certificates of registration with different agencies, in your official receipts and invoices, in your contracts and in other business forms.

If you are forming a single proprietorship business, it is required that you secure a certificate of registration with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). Otherwise, if you’re forming a partnership or a corporation, you should first register your business with the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC). After securing a SEC certificate of registration, although not required, you may also wish to register your name with the DTI to ensure that no other individuals or organizations would register a name similar to yours.

The DTI is the primary government agency with the dual mission of facilitating the creation of a business environment wherein participants could compete, flourish, and succeed and, at the same time, ensuring consumer welfare. DTI also governs the registration of business and trade names in the Philippines. The following are steps and guidelines to register your business name with the DTI:

Choose your proposed business name

Before you register your business with the DTI, you should be ready with your proposed business name. The following are guidelines for an acceptable and not acceptable business name:

Acceptable business names:

  • The root word or words of the name shall be considered.
  • Describes the nature of business
  • Comprised solely of letters and/or numerals
  • Punctuation that are part of English and Filipino language

Names that are not acceptable:

  • Those which are or whose nature of business is illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety.
  • Those which are identical or which nearly resemble business names already registered with government office authorized to register names.
  • Names composed purely of generic words.
  • Names by which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated.
  • Distinguished or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles merchandise or service.
  • Abbreviation of names of any nation, inter-governmental or international organization
  • Names which are misleading, deceptive or which misrepresent the nature of business

Steps for over-the-counter registration

A. Obtain application forms (duplicate copy) and fill these up completely. Only the owner of the business or his/her Attorney-in-Fact (who is authorized in a proper legal instrument) is authorized to sign all the forms.

B. Meet the following requirements (For Single Proprietorship):

• Must be a Filipino citizen, at least 18 years old. Filipinos with names suggestive of alien nationality must submit any of the following proof of citizenship: birth certificate, PRC ID, voter’s ID, or valid passport. If the applicant has acquired Filipino citizenship by naturalization, election, or by other means provided by law, he must submit any of the following proof of his Filipino citizenship: naturalization certificate and oath of allegiance, card issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation and affidavit of election, or ID card issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation.

• Certain types of business may have other requirements such as service and repair shops, real estate brokers, dental/medical clinic/hospitals, pawnshops, manpower services, engineering/architectural services and other services provided by professionals.

C. Submit application form to the DTI Processor. The DTI Processor will check if the Business Name is still available, if yes, you will be asked to pay the application fee.

D. Pay the required registration and processing fee.

New BN registration fees in effect

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is now implementing the following registration fees for business name registration (original and renewal) depending on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application:

a. Barangay: PHP    200.00
b. City / Municipality: PHP    500.00
c. Regional: PHP 1,000.00
d. National: PHP 2,000.00

For more information, please call DTI Direct at 751.3330.

E. After showing the receipt to the Processor, the Business Name Certificate will be released.

F. Your Business Name Certificate is valid for 5 years from date of registration.

Register Online at

1. Fill out application form by typing the required information (proposed business name, TIN, name of registrant, address, etc.,).

2. Submit online and you will receive transaction reference number acknowledgment via e-mail.

3. Submit the necessary documentation mention in the acknowledgment in DTI office in your area. The reserve business name online is only up to 3 working days.

4. Pay your application. Payment can be through GCash or at the DTI teller. Fees will depend on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application (barangay, City/municipality, regional or national).

Victorino Abrugar is a retired CPA practitioner, a blogger, speaker, and an entrepreneur. He's the CEO of Optixor, Inc., a digital marketing company based in the Philippines. Follow him on Twitter at @viclogic.

Receive Free Business Tips in Your Inbox!

You must activate the subscription in your email to receive free business tips daily. You can unsubscribe anytime. We respect your privacy.


  1. jay

    Thank you for a wonderful tip

  2. rrr

    “Only the owner of the business or his/her Attorney-in-Fact (who is authorized in a proper legal instrument) is authorized to sign all the forms.”

    DTI should update their website, most importantly the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) I went to DTI Makati (Trafalgar Building)today. But after waiting in line and finally happy for my turn… they told me that they cannot accept my documents since I am the one who signed the application forms. I told them that the owner authorized me to process and sign on her behalf. I submitted a signed SPA (Special Power of Attorney) together with the application forms. I tried to ask for consideration but to no avail :( so I need to go back again and fill out the forms and let the owner sign the papers.

    • Vic

      Hi. What are the specific reasons why they did not accept your SPA?

  3. It is the sad truth actually. Many are caught up in the same situation. The lesson is that if you are appearing as the representative of another, I suggest you bring along a notarized special power of attorney because that is the requirement of most agencies. Only few are satisfied with the unnotarized one.

  4. Nicole

    Hi, I recently registered my Business name with DTI. I am an owner of an online shop. Do I still need to obtain the barangay clearance, mayor’s permit and BIR permit? Thank you!

    • Vic

      Hi Nicole. DTI registration will only give you a registered TRADE NAME, but it will not give you a registered BUSINESS. You need to register your business/profession with the BIR to have Official Receipts and to be able to remit the applicable taxes.

  5. richard

    hi what do i need so that i will be able to issue official receipts to my clients?

    • Vic

      You should apply for BIR registration. Please read this article: . If you will register as a self-employed professional, kindly read this

      • AM

        i just want to ask for a sec registration reqs. if you have coz idont hav any ideas. thanx…

  6. marvin

    ano po bang mga valid I.D. ang inaaccept ng DTI? Pwede po ba LICENSE, SSS I.D., BARANGAY I.D.?

  7. Hi Marvin, I believe any valid government issued i.d. will do.

  8. marvin

    Should i rent a commercial space before register a business name to DTI? or can i use my home temporarily then look for a commercial space and replace the address after.

  9. Jay

    A friend and I want to start a Photo and Video business, working mostly from my home here in Pasig. Since this kind of work does not really need a “formal” office space, do i still need a barangay permit, mayor’s permit etc… ? Aside from registering the business name, what other requirements do we need to accomplish? Especially if we want to be able to give out official receipts to future clients. Which BIR office do we go to? thanks and great job in helping out new entrepreneurs.

    • Hi Jay, in such case you may use your home office. The problem is, you expose your home address to everyone else and you may have hard time securing a business permit with your home office. Alternatively, you may go for virtual office for less costly than a formal office. For your BIR registration, proceed with the BIR covering with the place of the address you used.

  10. jane


    Just wanna ask, what if i already got a DTI permit, then i haven’t registered yet with BIR ‘coz i’m not yet operating but said that i will pay penalty due for not registering it with them after a month from DTI, can i have it renewed though it is not yet expired?

    please reply


    • It’s okay to have a DTI registration even you are not yet registered with BIR as long as you are still not operating your business. DTI is only for registering your trade name or the name of your business – not your business itself. DTI also doesn’t give you the license to operate a business. However, be sure to register your business with the BIR before starting business operation.

  11. michelle molina

    hi my friend from KSA is planning to operate a manpower agency,my question is…Should i rent a commercial space before register a business name to DTI?thanks

  12. Francis

    When i fill online walang submit button na lumalabas and sa name availability lumalabas please check null municipality input data.

  13. Johnny

    Thank you for this post.

    Meron lng akong question.

    What if po i have a corporation registered in SEC already but the name is not that appealing kasi no choice SEC is very strict in naming your corporation. Is it ok to use a different name in a store or an office by registering it in DTI?

    Hope you could answer my question.


  14. cathelyn palacio

    Sir may house for rent po kami 2 doors. What are the other requiremets na kelangan ko i submit together with the Business name registration application form and valid ID? thank you Sir. God bless.

  15. Rivk

    Is the DTI online application working? New applications seems to be grayed out and download certificate is the only clickable link.

  16. Ma-an

    I have a similar question as Johnny. Can the name on my signage outside the store be different from the one on my DTI registration?

    For example, if DTI approves the business name “Ma-an’s Laundromat Services” but that is not the name I want to put on my sign, can I opt for a different name? Can I put a sign outside my store that says “SOAPS AND SUDS LAUNDRY” but the O.R.s I will issue will say:

    Operated by: Ma-an’s Laundromat Services

    Do I have to register “Soaps and Suds Laundry” with DTI or do I register it separately as a trademark?

  17. Jonathan L. Elano


    We are planning to have a business to produce a bottled natural juice. Would it okay to have it registered only to dti (only later to BFAD)? Would DTI require us to have it BFAD Certified?

    • Hi. DTI is only for registering your business trade name, but it doesn’t give you a license to operate. You have to register also with other government agencies to begin operation. DTI is only one of the requirements to register with BFAD, Mayor’s Office, BIR, and other applicable government offices.

  18. Czarina Ross

    Hi. I am planning to put a small “Tapsilogan Business at my Father-in-law’s rental space. Its in a subdivision in Quezon City. We tried to ask for a Home Owner’s association permit but they do not want to give us the approval. But there are already existing Sari-Sari stores around the village.
    If we will undergo the legal ways, like going to DTI and register the business name, getting the Mayor’s permit and registering to BIR, would our business be legal without the permit from the homeowners association?
    I really need help on this.Hope to hear from you really soon.
    Many thanks. :-)

  19. Ned

    I would like to start a business, but I am abroad. Does DTI needs my original IDs when applying. Can I apply for it even I am here abroad? What are the steps and other requirements? Please help.

  20. Mon

    Hi, I would like to know if you have any idea on how long does it take to complete the registration thru online (

  21. jen

    hi dti
    i just want to ask what business scope should i use? i have a business in quezon city but since im into machine shop services or machine cleaning sometimes i have a client from pasig city or provinces of mindanao or visayas or in bulacan area. my business is only small, sole proprietorship with only 3 employees. what should business scope i should use? please help i need to renew my dti business registration due last week. And another thing i accidentally renew online using national business scope? what should i do to change the business scope if ever.
    I need your help. ASAP. thanks. please email me also for the answer.


  22. eire

    Thanks for the very informative article. I just have a question. I have an online shop. Is it still necessary for me to register with the DTI, and subsequently with the BIR? I noticed a lot of online shops are not registered with either agency, and I’ve read several forums saying that if you’re just an online shop, better NOT to register with DTI and BIR. Kindly enlighten me as to why I should register my online business with the DTI and BIR. Further, should I decide to register my online business, what address do I give? Or is there a special process specifically for ONLINE businesses? Because I do not want to use my home address, as it exposes the information to everyone, and I doubt if that is a safe move on my part. Thank you so much.

    • Whether online or offline, as long as you are engaging in business, you have to register your business: DTI, BIR, SEC (if partnership or corporation), and with other applicable government agencies. DTI will only register your “business trade name”, but not your business. You also have to register with BIR and other offices applicable to your business. You can use your home office or any office where you are based as your address.

  23. Joyce Vega

    Do you need to register with DTI if you are planning to open a website just to make it legit?

    • If you are planning to use the name of your website as your business trade name, you have to register it with DTI. And if you want to operate it as a legit business, you also have to register it with the BIR and other government agencies. If you already have an existing registered business and you just want to include your website as part of your business, you can register it with the IPO (Intellectual Patent Office) as a registered brand of your existing business.

  24. emmanuel evilla

    now i know how to how to register the business name with the DTI….^_^

  25. Donna Jabon

    Glad a useful site like yours exist, I learned from your taxation tips. tnx

    I would like to ask if it is possible that a corporation like us can still register our trade name with DTI?

    Is it possible for a corporation to own multiple trade names? For each business in different location?
    Example: SEC registered corporation is KK General Merchandise Inc., and now we planning to open another store with a name “JJ enterprises” but under the same owner, the corporation.
    what should be our next step? Is it possible that in the DTI registration form in the owner’s name be the corporation?

    How is branding being done?

    Example Jollibee Food corporation, how did they register other brands like Greenwich, chowking, red ribbon?


  26. sonny

    Ask ko lang kailngan ko pa ba kumuha ng business permit if parang sari sari stor lang ang business tnx

  27. aiden

    ask ko lang po anu pagkakaiba ng marketing or enterprises kung ilalagay sa business name.
    thank u

  28. hi sir,

    i just would like to ask what the difference between – single-proprietorships, coporation & partnership? i would like to register a business name & a trademark but i don’t know where should i put it under. also, the nature of the business is a bit freelance / commission-based so it doesn’t really have a stable income every month. how much tax do i have to pay for the business even if its not earning? what would be your best suggestion? would appreciate a reply from you. thanks.

  29. mahesh chawla

    i am an indian who wants to start money exchange business in Philippines i read all that you have mention but how a foreigner can start the same in Philippines please help me you can send me email and let me know

  30. liberatoty

    ours is an organization of the Iraya Mangyans (one of the tribes of the natives of mindoro. we are registered with the department of labor and employment just this year, 2013. most of our members are upland farmers and we solely rely on the non-timber forest resources for our livelihood. Can we ask suggestion or help from you how we can register a business name? we are engaged in tiger grass production for softbroom making
    or “walis tambo. We would also like to ask from you a suggested name for this business
    or cottage industry?

  31. Grace bacolod

    Kindly help. I got my dti on 2013 but was not able to
    Operate that year. This year 2014 i register my business with
    bir and a personel told me that i have to pay late
    fee for late registration (2k is not a small amount). I argued
    that dti is valid for 5 yrs and it is just to register a trade name.
    Is the penalty legal or is there a way around it. Thanks


    How can I retrieve my TRN number? I didn’t print it due to accidental shut down of my pc? Please tell me what to do. Thanks!

  33. hannie

    hi! is it ok to register my business name first and work on other permits like mayor’s permit, BIR, etc. once we can find a location for the business? do they give you a deadline for registering the other permits? thanks for the help

  34. april valenzuela

    Good evening..ask qlng po..what if ung nso birthcertificate ng applcnt ay ang nklgy ay no record..macoconsidet prn b n valid id un? Tnx

  35. jonte

    Paano po magkaroon ng virtual offc?

Leave a Comment

Important: Repetitive questions will not be approved. Hence, before asking any question, please make an effort to read the article, previous comments and answers first. Further, please post your comment or question on the relevant articles. Kindly spare some time to browse our list of articles in the “Archives Page” ”. Please help us save more time we can use to continue writing, researching and providing 100% free and useful information for everyone. We reserve the right to reject any comment that will not follow these guidelines. Thank you.

× six = 18