List of Valid and Acceptable Photo Identification (IDs) in the Philippines

A valid photo identification (ID) card is needed and required whenever we do transactions, such as sending and receiving money at Western Union and other money transfer agencies, opening a savings or checking account at different banks, doing other financial transactions with banks and non-banks financial institutions, getting a passport, checking in at the airport, and transacting with other government and private agencies. An ID card helps us to enter into transactions, as well as entering premises like schools and offices. It also represents our “Identification” which we can keep in our wallet. Thus, it is best for everyone to secure and keep a valid ID. The following is a list of current valid and acceptable photo identification (IDs) in the Philippines based on the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Circular No. 706 (Updated Anti-Money Laundering Rules and Regulations).

  • Passport including those issued by foreign governments
  • Driver’s license
  • Professional Regulations Commission (PRC) ID
  • National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance
  • Police clearance
  • Postal ID
  • Voter’s ID
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN)
  • Barangay certification
  • Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) e-Card
  • Social Security System (SSS) card
  • Senior Citizen card
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID
  • Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) ID
  • Seaman’s book
  • Alien Certification of Registration/Immigrant Certificate of Registration
  • Government office and GOCC ID (e.g., AFP, HDMF IDs)
  • Certification from the National Council for the Welfare of Disabled Persons (NCWDP)
  • Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) certification
  • Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) ID
  • Company IDs issued by private entities or institutions registered with or supervised or regulated either by the BSP, SEC or IC.
  • Valid photo-bearing school ID duly signed by the principal or head of the school (for non-voting/minor age students).
  • Similar IDs duly issued by the foreign government where the customer is a resident or a citizen may be presented (for non-Philippine resident).

The BSP circular also made it to require the presentation of the original and submit a clear copy of only at least one of the valid ID above instead of the previous requirement of 2 valid IDs for people who will engage in a financial transaction for the first time with financial institutions, such as banks, Offshore banking units, quasi-banks, trust entities, non-stock savings and loan associations, pawnshops, foreign exchange dealers, money changers, remittance agents, electronic money issuers and other financial institutions which under special laws are subject to BSP supervision and/or regulation. This is in order to promote access of Filipinos to services offered by formal financial institutions, particularly those residing in the remote areas, as well as to encourage and facilitate remittances of OFWs through the banking system.

Reference: Bangko Sentral nf Pilipinas Circular No. 706 issued on 01/05/2011

Victorino Abrugar is a retired CPA practitioner, a blogger, speaker, and an entrepreneur. He's the President of Optixor, Inc., a digital marketing company based in the Philippines. Follow him on Twitter at @viclogic.


  1. haira jur-jay jeopli says

    i used my school ID in picking up the money in 1 western union station here in our province.but they don’t accept my ID because it’s out of school days now(summer vacation),,but i don’t have any other valid ID’s to use,,,but the other station,still accept my ID for the transaction,,is your establishment have different rules and regulations for sending and receiving money???

  2. Presentacion Alvarez says

    Thank you sir for this article. Just ysterday I presented my BIR TIN ID to an agency (Prime asia-in San Francisco,Camotes Island ) of Western Union and they turned down the release of my money transfer because of what they claim as a memo in their agency no longer accepting BIR TIN ID if the amount claimed is over P500. This deprived me to access to my money and I would have to go to mainland Cebu just to get the money. Do they have a right to do that to customers of Western union?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *