Here is a list of small home-based business ideas you can start in the Philippines with small capital. There are fifty one ideas you can choose on. But be sure that you have the sufficient skills, talents, experience and passion to do and run these concepts successfully. You can do them on part-time, or if time doesn’t pressure you, you can also try to concentrate and give your full time. If you are currently employed with a certain company or employer, you might consider holding a little more time before you leave your regular job. There is always a right time and season for everything, including the escape from your office cubicle. Now, if you’re unemployed, or even if you’re employed but have controlled the risk of investing your time to business, the following ideas are for your consumption.
1. Sari-sari store. This is a common small business idea in the country. If you don’t have a strong competitor, you can make a living from your sari-sari store.
2. Cellphone load business. Filipinos are one of the top cellphone texters on Earth. Cellphone load is always in demand.
3. Tutorial business. Teach and share your knowledge, education and expertise.
4. Barbecue sale. Whether it’s a pork barbecue, chicken, hotdog, or even “isaw” (grilled chicken intestines), there is a market of Filipino BBQ lovers waiting for you.
5. Baking, cakes, pastries, putos, leche plans etc., You can sell this to your friends, their friends and to the friends of their friends’ friends. Make sure to bake the best to achieve an effective word-of-mouth marketing among your consumers.
6. Landscaping. We love to see a beautiful and relaxing garden in our backyard.
7. Website design and development. Every enterprise wants to have an online presence. Grab the opportunity.
9. Consulting. Be a consultant on your chosen profession i.e., business, marketing, management, finance, engineering, beauty, health, et cetera.
10. Desktop publishing. If you’re good in CorelDraw, Adobe Pagemaker and other desktop publishing applications, you can offer your services to certain clients.
11. Catering. Filipinos are traditional, who loves to celebrate fiestas, birthdays, binyag (baptism) and other events. You can take the responsibility of cooking and serving food to their visitors.
12. Photography. If you love photography and have bought a nice DLSR camera for your hobby, you can also use it to earn money by offering digital photography service. Just make sure you also have an editing software to enhance your photos and knows how to do it well.
13. Wedding planner. Every woman or a bride wants to make their wedding perfect. Of course it only happens once in a lifetime (ideally and religiously). Thus, you can be the one who will make sure that everything will happen as planned and as desired.
14. Video coverage. HD videos are great memorabilia for any great moments and occasions such as wedding, debuts, birthdays, anniversaries and corporate events.
15. Custom jewelry creation. Maximize your skills in designing jewelries, whether it’s metal or precious stones.
16. Gift baskets making. Make people’s presence more presentable.
17. Direct selling. You can be an Avon dealer or a Natasha dealer.
18. Insurance sales. If you have the skills in direct marketing, you can sell insurance (e.g., life insurance, educational plan and car insurance) to different clients.
19. Real estate brokerage. You can be a real estate agent or a license real estate broker. Read how to apply for a real estate broker with the Department and Industry (DTI).
20. Telemarketing and customer service. You can utilize your telephone at home for telemarketing and customer service. Just be sure you know how to speak English fluently.
21. Appliance repair. Make your neighbor’s TVs, refrigerators, air-cons, and other appliances working again.
22. Beautician. This may include hair dressing, pedicure, manicure, facial, massage and other related services.
23. Accounting and bookkeeping. Businessmen are so busy that they don’t like the burden of doing their accounting and accomplishing their compliance with the different government agencies. If you have a background in accounting, you can do the recording of their business transactions and accomplish their compliance with the BIR, SSS, Mayor’s Office, SEC and other government regulatory agencies.
24. Wood working. Showcase your creative designs of cabinets and other furniture made from wood.
25. Candle making. You can consign your scented candles in the malls and department stores.
26. Ceramics. People love to decorate their homes with beautiful ceramics.
27. Sewing / Dressmaking. If you’re really good in dressmaking you can make a good deal with companies for their corporate uniforms.
28. Dance instructor. Teach others to dance while earning money.
29. Music instructor. You can give vocal lessons and teach aspiring musicians how to play musical instruments, such as piano and guitar.
30. Self-defense instructor. If you’re a black belter or a master of martial arts, you can teach kids, women and everyone who wants to learn how to defend themselves from persons who bring danger.
31. Dog training. If you can teach your own dog with amazing tricks, you may also consider teaching the dogs of other people.
32. Dry cleaning pick-up and delivery service. You can provide free pickup and delivery service for people who wants to avail of your dry cleaning laundry services.
33. Employee training. If you’re an HR management person, you can be a facilitator of employees training, like team-building.
34. Recruitment. This may involve executive search and recruiting prospective employees for companies who are seeking for personnel to hire.
35. Writing, proofreading and editing. You can write contents, such as articles and press releases for website owners who want to have quality contents for their sites. You can also offer proofreading and editing services for those who write their own contents.
36. Portrait painting. Your job is to paint a personalized depiction of a woman, man, child or a dog.
37. Invitation printing. Weddings, birthday, anniversaries, corporate events, they need to have appealing invitation cards.
38. Software programming. If you’re an IT savvy and one who can create useful software, you may want to offer companies to customize computer programs for their specific needs. You can also create generalized software or scripts and sell it online.
39. Life coach. If you have the power in your words and you’re a great motivator, then you might be suitable for helping people in improving and developing their personal lives.
40. Travel agency. The travel industry is booming. You can sell travel packages which include airfare and hotel accommodations.
41. T-shirt design. This requires your artistry, creativity and marketing talents.
42. Encoding and data entry. If you have a computer and a good Internet connection, you may offer encoding services to assist clients in this tedious work.
43. Welding. If you don’t like woodworking, you can choose automotive and welding.
44. Computer repair. The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) offers computer technician training. There are many computers to be repaired from household to offices.
45. Cellphone repair. If you do this at home, you can save from rental expense and can offer lower prices for repairing your customers’ mobile phones. However, you need to exert extra effort in marketing and promoting your services. Start from your close friends and those online friends from your Facebook account. You may also consider distributing flyers.
46. Product review. There are companies who will pay you for giving a test dive of their products, such as computer games, movies and books. You can also commission large review companies and be their freelance product reviewer.
47. Poultry farming. Consider pigs, chickens and eggs if you have an ample backyard.
48. Garage sales. As the name suggests, you need to sell everything you can sell in your garage.
49. Billing and collection services. You can be the one who sends statements of account, letter of demands, and the one who calls and follow-up billing of you clients’ customers.
50. Potted plants. If you really love potted plants, flowers and gardening, this is a green idea. Every day is Earth Day.
51. Polling and surveying. Last but not the least, you might want to consider providing the statistical information needed by companies for their existing or new product’s promotion. If you own a popular blog or website, you can take paid surveys online at the convenience of your finger tips.
If you have other home-based business ideas in mind, please consider sharing it by making a comment below. For more detailed information on each of the ideas listed above, feel free to ask questions.
Update: It’s already year 2013, check out this 100 business ideas and opportunities for 2013 which I have recently published on this blog for you to gain more ideas for your business startup.