Holy week, which means Hebdomas Sancta or Hebdomas Maior, “Greater Week” in Latin, is the last week of Lent and the week before Easter according to the Catholic tradition. It commemorates the last week of Jesus Christ’s life as a man on Earth, as recorded in the Canonical gospels. This week involves fasting and abstinence from flesh. The Filipinos, as a large Catholic nation, observe the Holy week in great passion. The Philippines declared Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, which fall on working days, as holidays. Thus, everyone is expected to be seen in their homes, in the churches and in places where they don’t usually visit in the working days, such as in vacation spots. For the year 2011, the following is the schedule of the Holy week in the Philippines:
Palm Sunday – April 17, 2011
Holy Wednesday – April 20, 2011
Maundy Thursday – April 21, 2011
Good Friday – April 22, 2011
Black Saturday – April 23, 2011
Easter Sunday – April 24, 2011
Now, as this site is all about business tips and ideas, we are about to discuss on the best possible business ideas every entrepreneur can engage with during the observation of the Holy Week. I’m not encouraging everyone to concentrate on business during the Holy week, instead, I like everyone to continue on serving people and God in all the weeks of the year. The following are some business ideas I got from wandering around the web (business forums, blogs, etc.,) and from brainstorming my own brain:
1. Blogging and writing religious articles and anything related to the Holy week – this is what I’m doing now, and I love to write and share spiritual articles in my other blog to enlighten other people all the time.
2. Religious items – religious books would be nice.
3. Selling candles and flowers – many people need candle and flowers for their venerations.
4. Selling foods i.e., fish, fruits, vegetables, dried fish and any food allowed during the Holy week (except on Easter Sunday) – before the Easter Sunday, everyone will be looking for foods other than meat which is prohibited. Please don’t overprice your fish and instead sell it to serve people.
5. Selling meat on Easter Sunday. After the fasting, people will finally start looking for meat. Again, please don’t overprice your meat and don’t be so opportunist.
6. Snacks like banana cue, halo halo, etc., We love these truly pinoy foods and snacks, especially on summer.
7. Travel packages. For some people, especially those who are not Catholic, Holy Week is a great opportunity to have a break from the stressful office works and go for a relaxing vacation.
8. Hotels. If your location is a hot spot for vacation, expect for many tourists looking for hotels and rooms.
9. Transportation or car rental. Many people will be going for vacation. They will need transportation.
10. Beaches, resorts and private pools. It’s summer and it’s a long holiday.
11. Event planning for the Easter Sunday. This is for kids.
12. Selling palaspas (palm fronds) for the Palm Sunday. Lots of people will need palaspas on Palm Sunday, you can provide them.
13. Cell phone loading. Many people will prefer to stay at home. They will surely need extra loads to call and text their friends whom they will not meet during the week.
14. DVD renting and selling (original please). It’s a movie marathon for many people.
If you have any other ideas for the Holy Week, please share it by making a comment below. Please remember that the Holy week is just a one week reminder to make all of our weeks holy. Finally, let’s not forget that in doing business, large or small, let’s always think and go for serving and helping people.