We know that a good relationship with your employees in the workplace is vital to every organization’s success. Therefore, without much introduction, here are important steps and tips on how you can build an effective and fruitful relationship with your workers.
1. Offer a long lasting relationship. Develop a relationship that is not only for protecting yourself and your own business interest. A relationship that lasts is one that meets the future of your employees. People find a job and work in an organization, hoping that they will have a good living and attain a better life ahead. Hence, ensure that you’re not just befriending your employees, but also building their brighter future. Make sure to create a relationship that relates to their long-term goals, such as financial stability, ultimate career success, and personal development.
2. Trust and be trustworthy. We know that without trustworthiness relationship fails. Therefore, don’t hire people that aren’t trustworthy. And when you hire trustworthy people, trust them. Furthermore, don’t lead people if you’re not also trustworthy. Trusting and being trustworthy should work together. Hence, be sure that they can also trust you. Thus, don’t fail your promises.
3. Have due kindness and generosity. Greed is also one thing that destroys any kind of relationship. A good relationship should start by making oneself selfless instead of living it in selfishness. Be kind and generous to your employees in terms of money, attention, and recognition. Don’t forget their bonuses, incentives, awards, promotion, and even their birthdays.
4. Be compassionate. Compassion is one of the most important ingredients of a great relationship. As the word “relationship” suggests, you must relate to your employees. By being compassionate to them, you are thinking what they think, such as their problems and worries. You are also feeling what they feel, such as their sadness and heartaches. A compassionate leader or manager usually becomes closer to his followers or subordinates because he is very proactive in dealing with their concerns. When you know what the real problems of your employees are, you will more likely come up with the right solutions.
5. Be productive and fruitful. Relationship is a human connection. Will people desire to connect with you if you are not doing well in your business or in your entrepreneurial undertakings? Perhaps they won’t. If you want people to connect with you and have a good relationship with you, then show them that success is in your hands. Therefore, be a successful businessman and an entrepreneur. Don’t be hasty, lazy and unwise.
6. Be a light. Good relationships are not made in the darkness; they are made in the light. This means that good relationship arises when honesty, transparency and clarity exist. Therefore don’t lie and don’t ever make your people believe in something that are not true. Further, show to your employees a clear direction, as well as a lucid destination. Define your organizational mission and vision, and make them achievable and awarding for everyone.
7. Be careful what you love. Love is such a wonderful thing. However not all love is right. If you want to build a good relationship in the workplace, then love your employees, and not your money. It is also important that you learn how to love yourself, for you cannot love others if you can’t even love yourself. Love yourself in the right way so that you can also love your people righteously. In other words, be motivated to motivate your employees, be joyful to make your employees happy, be kind to yourself to show kindness to them, be honest to encourage honesty, be diligent to influence them diligence, and finally… have self-discipline to discipline your employees.